Tom Sessa is known for taking great care of his clients and their individual needs. He ensures that his clients’ concerns are heard and that all their wishes are fully taken into consideration. His clients often remark that Tom removes the burden of worrying about what the future holds to allow them to focus on the present and what is important to them right now. Tom’s goal is to help his clients ensure that their assets are a blessing to their families and the community.
Tom handles all aspects of estate planning, estate administration, and trust administration. He has extensive experience working with professionals, business owners, and families with special needs children. Tom finds special needs planning particularly gratifying because he knows how much relief his clients feel when they are able to navigate the laws in this area.
He also assists with multi-generational planning and business succession planning. Tom often serves as an independent trustee for many of his clients. In addition, he helps clients navigate probate matters, preparation of federal and state estate tax returns, fiduciary income tax returns, and advising trustees and personal representatives in carrying out their fiduciary duties.
Tom started Sessa & Dorsey with Cheri because he wants to create a space that is both welcoming but highly professional. He loves working with his clients to build a long, trusting relationship over the course of theirs and their loved ones’ lives.
Outside of the office, Tom is a Host Team Leader at Church of the Nativity in Timonium, Maryland, and he and his wife are kept busy managing the schedules of their three children.
Professional and Civic Involvement
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, Maryland State Bar Association, Estates and Trusts Section
- Member, Baltimore County Bar Association
- Member, Hunt Valley Business Forum
- Member, Baltimore Estate Planning Council
- Member, Catholic Business Network of Baltimore
- Member and Care Chair, ProVisors Baltimore
- Past President, Board of Directors, Arts for Learning Maryland
Awards & Recognition
- Martindale-Hubbell, Distinguished Peer Rated for High Professional Achievement (2021-2023)
- The American Registry, America’s Most Honored Lawyers (2020-2022)
- J.D., magna cum laude, University of Baltimore School of Law, 1996 Staff Editor, Law Review
- B.A., Loyola College, 1993
- Maryland, 1996
- Florida, 2022
Publications, Interviews, & Lectures
- Co-Presenter, “5 Things You Should Do Now to Prepare for Possible Estate Tax Law Changes,” Sessa & Dorsey webinar (July 2021)